The present Gee Lodge at Camp Billy Gibbons was started in 1958, built and paid for by Otena. It was designed to be a five-year project and costing $1,000.00. Dabney Kennedy, who served first on the Medicine Council and then as Lodge Adviser, was the prime mover and designer of this project.
Donations were accepted from many people including Arrowmen who paid up their $1.00 dues five years in advance. Other donations were given by Dr. Nathan Cedars, Stephenville Hospital, Calvin Barkley, Palace Drug, Brownwood, and James D. King, Brownwood Superintendent of Schools.
Davis Floral, Manley Webb and Brownwood School District donated most of the trucks, tractors and equipment needed to build the lodge. Work weekends over several years were needed to build the road, pour the concrete foundation, gather rocks, build the walls, fireplace and set the steel windows.
Their plans were to lay the foundation before the summer of 1959 was over. By September of 1960 the rock part of the wall, cement floor and plumbing were completed. They were now ready to start on the walls and roof. The rock for the walls was gathered by OA members during their Ordeals.
During the 80's a portion
of the north end of the Lodge was petitioned off and converted into the
First Aid Lodge for the camp when the State Health Department would no
longer allow the camp to use the room at the end of the dining hall for
this purpose. In 2003, a new heath lodge was completed closer to the center
of camp and the former health lodge space was converted to housing for
staff during weekend events and summer camp.
Lois Gee passed away on October 11,1977, the building was named in his
memory and is known to this day as "Gee Lodge." The building was
dedicated in his memory on November 4, 1978. James C. Rominger (pictured
at right) of Breckenridge, president of the council, presided at the ceremony.
Mrs. Lois Gee and Mrs. W. L. Gee were among those from Dublin attending
the dedication of the lodge. Improvements to the lodge had been made
with memorial gifts from members of the Dublin Rotary Club and other associates
and friends of Mr. Gee. Lois Gee had served in Scouting in Dublin
for twenty-three years. He was Scoutmaster and Explorer Advisor
most of that time and from 1972 to 1977 served as the Lay Adviser to the
Otena Lodge of the Order of the Arrow. More than 100 Scouts and friends
attended the ceremony at Camp Billy Gibbons.
| Table of Contents | Next Page |