The first copy of the Lodge newsletter Volume 1, Number 1, "ONWARD & UPWARD" was published on February 1, 1955. It was a one page newsletter printed on a mimeograph machine on tan legal size paper. The first newsletter gave a report on the 1954 Christmas Banquet and Winter Camp. There were one hundred Arrowmen and their guests present at the December 28th banquet. It was held at the Brownwood Hotel Roof Garden and they had to "battle the snow storm on their way home after bringing to a close the most successful Third Annual Banquet of the Order of the Arrow."
The newsletter also announced
the availability of a new Brotherhood pin for $2.40. The pin was to be
in the shape of an arrowhead with an Indian head in the center and a small
chain connected to the arrowhead with an Arrow on the end of the chain.
Also included in the first issue was an announcement of the C.A. Work Camp
to be held at Camp Billy Gibbons on March 11-13. This was an annual event
and one of Otena's main events of the year according to the newsletter.
They announced that Otena Lodge was going to host the Region 9 Order of
the Arrow meeting at Camp Billy Gibbons in August with representatives
from about seven councils.
The "ONWARD & UPWARD" masthead was designed by Jimmy Erwin and first use on January 12, 1971.
Mann, Lodge Secretary from 2000 and 2002, published several newsletters
under a modern "ONWARD AND UPWARD" banner. These were some
of the last newsletters published in the lodge. In 2000, Neal Mann
was the first newsletter editor to put the “ONWARD AND UPWARD” newsletter
on the internet so that all former members could read the happenings of
the lodge. He posted all newsletters from 2000 to the present in
Adobe Acrobat on the web site. You may still read them by going to: Otena
Neal Mann was responsible for getting the Otena Lodge on the World Wide Web and created a web site for the lodge in early 2000 while serving as Lodge Secretary. The site was very popular among current and former members of the lodge as an immediate source of information on the activities of the lodge.
The lodge page was linked
from the Comanche Trail Council website maintained by Webmaster Frank Hilton
for the council. The website was discontinued on December 31, 2002, when
the council consolidated with the Chisholm Trail Council to form the Texas
| Table of Contents | Next Page |