|SCOUTING magazine was started. A membership registration system was established. The Handbook for Scoutmasters was published. Boy Scout Week was held for the first time. Membership had climbed to 115,364. Many more Scout Troops were organized in Texas this year.|
7 - First
organized in early 1913 and met at the YMCA with
Roland Shine as
CAlled themselves “The
Moved to Woodcrest
Presbyterian Church in the West End in 1914.
Troop 7 became inactive for awhile,
sometime after 1923, and changed
sponsors a few times.
Richard Wall made a trip to New York and brought
back with him a Boy Scout
Troop charter for Troop 7. In 1923, Troop 7
was chartered in Arlington.
But, moved back to Grapevine In 1931, being
chartered to Grapevine
Business Men's League. In 1932, the troop was
chartered to the Grapevine
City Council. Mayor E. Lowe was executive officer
St. Francis Catholic Church became their chartered
organization in 1980
and continues as their chartered organization
more information go
|Scurry County||According in information found in "West-Texas Cubs, Scouts and Explorers, " 1973, by Olan B. Draper, the first Boy Scout Troop in Scurry County was sponsored by a Sunday School Teacher, Mrs. Nancy Caton, in the First Methodist Church. She had read about the Scout organization in England, and how it came to American in 1910, and thought a Troop would be a good thing for her class of boys. She designed a little Scout pin, similar to a picture she had seen. The troop donated a stained glass window for the new church.|
|Van Alstyne||In 1913,
three Van Alstyne
boys, Rowland Barnett, Otis White and Rae Nunnallee,
received a Boy Scout
storybook. Barnett made a Christmas wish and, in
March 1913, the Van Alstyne
troop received its charter--one of the first in the
state. W.F. Barnett,
Rowland's father and Van Alstyne school
superintendent, became the troop's
first scoutmaster. Within a few years, Troop 1, as
it was known then, helped
establish other boy scout troops in the area,
beginning with the communities
of Anna and Elmont. The Van Alstyne troop worked
from its founding date
to serve its community. Now known as Troop
Go HERE to seeHistorical Marker
to Troop 1, Wichita Falls, their troop was
established in 1913 and has
been continuously chartered since 1916.
more information go
Morning News, April 12, 1913: "Scout
Commissioner C. M. Richmond
returned last night from Wills Point, where he spent
the day looking at
camp sites near that place.
"Mr. Richmond visited the high school and talked about the scout movement. all voted to join and twenty boys were sworn in after two hours of tugging at the first test with their scoutmaster, who will be Rev. E. L. Brandon, a Baptist minister. William Greer, Buck Jim Wynne and Andrew Jordan, a former Dallas scout, were elected to be patrol leaders."
Morning News, June 9, 1913: "Special to The
News. Stamford, Tex., June
8 - Four patrols of the American Boy Scouts have
just been organized in
this city with Ray Rector Scout Master.
"The non-commissioned officers are as follows; Clemmie Cooper, first sergeant; Harry Yates, second sergeant; Raymond Rosamond, third sergeant; Terrell Patterson, first corporal; Clyde Langsord, second corporal; Jno Bennett, third corporal and Fay Bourne, fourth corporal."
|Paris||Dallas Morning News, June 11, 1913. "State Brevities: Special to The News. Paris, Tex. June 10 - Thirty-two Boy Scouts in charge of W. E. Boyd, scoutmaster, left Monday for Eubank, OK. to spend a week in camp on the Kiomatia."|
|Comanche||Dallas Morning News, June 15, 1913. "Special to The News. Comanche, Tex. June 14 - A company of the Boy Scouts of America has been organized in Comanche with more than thirty members. D. W. Slue, a graduate of a military school, is in charge as scoutmaster."|
Worth Star-Telegram, June 26, 1913.
"Organization of Fort Worth
Boy scouts, Troop No. 2, has been perfected by R. G.
of Troop 1. The new troop is composed of forty
members of the Magnolia
Avenue Christian Church and Rev. S. W. Hutton,
assistant pastor, is in
"Both troops will 'hike' Saturday to Lake Erie, where they will spend the day swimming, 'hiking' and boating. Each boy will take his own provisions and prepare his meals while at the lake."
Morning News, August 24, 1913. "Special
to The News. Texarkana,
Tex., Aug. 23. - Twenty boys met at the Y.M.C.A.
last night and took preliminary
steps for the organization of a troop of Boy Scouts
Will Finley, who has had considerable experience in
was chosen scout master. Another meeting will
be held next Friday
night, by which time, it is thought, the necessary
will have been enrolled when the organization will
The boys present were all enthusiastic and were
anxious to enroll as charter
members of the troop."
August 30, 1913. "The organization of a troop of Boy Scouts, which was begun two weeks ago, was completed at a meeting held at the Texarkana Y.M.C.A. Building. Twenty-four boys enrolled.
"The officers chosen were Will Finley, scoutmaster; Patrol No. 1, Louis Marx; Patrol No. 2, Louis Munz; Patrol No. 3, Caleb Moss. The boys are all enthusiastic and drills to perfect them in the work will be held every two or three days."
|Bonham||Dallas Morning News, August 29, 1913. "Special to The News. Bonham, Tex., Aug. 28 - A local council of Boy Scouts has been organized here with Rev. J. Everhart, Scout Commissioner."|
|San Angelo||Dallas Morning News, September 9, 1913. "Special to The News. San Angelo, Tex., Sept. 8 - Plans are now under way here for the organization of a camp of the American Boy Scouts. The organization is to be separate and distinct from one organized here several years ago. V. J. Smith, Spencer Wells and John Netherton are handling the organization."|
News, September 16, 1913. "Special to The
News. Decatur, Tex., Sept.
15. - Decatur's annual classical entertainment,
consisting of a six-number
lyceum contract, has been provided for by the
Decatur Boy Scouts.
The Scouts are making preparations to attend the
Scout Day at the Dallas
Fair on Oct. 25."
Dallas Morning News, August 26, 1914. "Special to The News, Denton, Texas, Aug. 25 - Troop No. 1 of the Decatur Boy Scouts returned this morning from a two weeks' camping trip to Elmhurst Park, near Mineral Wells. the hike of seventy miles was made under many difficulties."
|Taylor||Dallas Morning News, October 22, 1913. "Special to The News. Taylor, Tex., Oct. 21 - The boy scouts of Taylor fully organized here at a meeting held in the Baraca rooms of the Methodist Church with a charter membership of thirty-seven and with O. C. Ankeman, scoutmaster. Herbert Patterson, president; Roy Davis, vice president; Vernon Adams, secretary; Clarence Ploeger, treasurer; Leon Bergstrom, sergeant-at-arms; Reginald A. Rodgers, reporter."|
|Uvalde||According to "Panjandrum, A History of Concho Valley Council, Boy Scouts of America 1911-2001," 2001, by Frank T. Hilton, page 9, "A Scout troop was organized in Uvalde in 1913. Rev. B. F. Moore was Scoutmaster. The Scouts in the troop were Wade Ferguson, Arthur Evans, Charley Turk, Amos Ward, Bob Sharp, Frank Churchill, Vernon Spenser and Tom Hardin. Most of these kids graduated from high school in 1917.|
|Houston||History of Region Nine, by Minor Huffman, page 96. "A second class council was organized in Houston in 1913. David Duller, one of the earliest Scoutmasters, later became commissioner."|
|Rosenburg||History of Region Nine, by Minor Huffman, page 97. "In 1913 a second class council was organized in Rosenberg. Charles Lee was commissioner. It was short lived and no further mention of it is found."|
in the Dallas
Morning News, November 1, 1913, stated that the
Texas State Fair was expecting
Scout Troops from the following towns to attend the
Fair on Scout Day.
We do not have information on many of these units in
1913, and they are
marked in red.
San Antonio, Fort Worth, Austin, Denison, Hillsboro, Waxahachie, Marshall, Longview, Nacogdoches, Greenville, Italy, Leonard, Royce City, Granbury, Paris, Willis Point, Mineral Wells, Shiner, Cisco, Corsicana, Ennis, Irving, Cooper, Lancaster and Edgewood.
have any information
on these Troops please let us know. You can
find the e-mal address
at the bottom of our home
Last updated: July 30, 2017