SOUTH PLAINS COUNCIL
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA HISTORY
(Addtional material from Minor Huffman's book)
In 1922, a second class council was organized in Lubbock for the city of Lubbock. In the fall of 1924, Mr. L. S. Harkey approached Kenneth N. Clapp with the idea of organizing an Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Mr. Clapp agreed to help and they gathered a group of men together including Sam Henry, Sr. of Lubbock, Marshall Mason of Post, Joe N. Spikes and Dr. J. C. Loveless of Lamesa and made an application for local Council Charter.
The National Council chartered the South Plains Council, Boy Scouts of America in January 1925. The new first class council included Dickens, Lubbock, Cochran, Gaines, Lynn, Crosby, Garza, Terry, Hockley and Yoakum. The first president of the Council was Mr. Sim O’Neal, Vice-President, Mr. K. N. Clapp and the first Scout Executive was Mr. H. B. Palmer. Mr. Clapp organized a Scout Troop and this Scout Troop was used as an exhibition Troop. The Troop was taken from town to town throughout the area of the Council where they put on demonstrations of Scouting Skills and Camped in the City Square. This troop was followed up a few days later and Troops were organized throughout the Area Council by this procedure.
The first camp of the Council was held in July 1925, 80 miles west of Roswell, New Mexico. The camping spot was at Ruidoso Springs, New Mexico, nearly 300 miles from Lubbock. 142 boys and 34 men camped for 10 days. The trip was made by truck.
In the fall, following the first camping trip to Ruidoso Springs, L. S. Harkey, H. B.Palmer, K. N. Clapp, and Marshall Mason toured the entire Council Area looking for a suitable campsite for the Council. None was found to please them and a short time later Marshall Mason called Mr.Clapp and asked him to come to Post because there was a site on the Double U Ranch that they had overlooked; Mr. Harkey, Mr. Clapp and Mr. Mason went out to look at the site and liked what they saw. In conference with Mr. Sam B. Bardwell, Manager of the Post Estate, they made application to the Post Estate for a portion of the ranch as a Camp. Mr. Clapp said they only expected about 160 acres so they asked for 300 acres and after Mr. Bardwell had swapped a piece of tillable land for another canyon. Mr. Bardwell told Mr. Clapp to go on back to Lubbock and write his own ticket on 400.77 acres of land. Mr. Clapp reports that no gift was ever given more graciously to the Council than the land by the Post Estate for the new C. W. Post Memorial Scout Camp. The paper work was completed on the gift of the Camp Property about three months before the summer camp of 1926. Mr. L. S. Harkey made Mr. Clapp the proposition the he would go raise the money to develop the Camp if Mr. Clapp would go build the camp. That’s the way it turned out.
The budget for the first year’s operation was originally set at $9,000.00 but was finally cut to $6,500.00. The first Council Commissioner was Mr. L. S. Harkey. The first record that can be found of the meeting of the Council’s Executive Board was a luncheon held on October 30, 1925 in Lamesa. At this time there were 12 Troops within the Council with a membership of 306 boys.
The first Annual Meeting of the Council was held at O’Donnell, Texas on January 19, 1926, at which time officers were elected for the New Year and a budget of $11,200.00, was adopted. In 1927 Borden and Dawson was addded. In 1933 Bailey County was transferred from Eastern New Mexico.
According to Minor Huffman, in his book History of Region Nine, Boy Scouts of America, 1920-1967, another second class council was also organized in 1922. This second class council was located in Plainview. The council was comprised of the following counties: Briscoe, Castro, Floyd, Hale, Lamb, Motley and Swisher. The second class council in Plainview became the Central Plains Council in 1928. E. L. Roberts, who had served as a field executive in the Panhandle Council at Amarillo, became the executive. The council embraced 71/2 counties and it is assumed that it include the counties of Briscoek Castro, Floyd, Hale, Lamb, Motley and Swicher. E. L. Roberts made heroic efforts to keep the council alive, contirbuting generously of his own funds, but conditions were against him and the Central Plains Council suspended operations in 1931. The entrie territory was place on direct service, and in 1936 the territory was transferred to South Plains Council.
The budget of the second year was cut form $11,200.00 to $6,500.00. The outstanding Board Meeting of 1926 was held on April 5th at Texas Tech College as guests of Dr. Paul Horn. The first record I find of completed Training Courses was in May 1926 when 3 training courses in Tahoka, O’Donnell and Lamesa were competed.
The highlight of the year 1926 was the celebration Jubilee at the C.W. Post Memorial Boy Scout Camp where a free dinner was given to all who were present for the Dedicatory Ceremony. Approximately 2000 people were present. The Council, at this time, had a total of 29 Troops and 720 Scouts. The first session of Camp held at C.W. Post Memorial Scout Camp was held in August 1926. In September of the same year the Boy Scouts had their first Exhibits at the South Plains-Panhandle Fair. Seven troops set up Service Units that interested thousands of people into inquiring about Scouting. An interesting side light in September 1926 was the present price of cotton and excessive rains had delayed the collection of all Council Finances at that time. The first Field meets of the Council was held on December 29th and 7 troops from Lubbock attended. Courts of Honor were set up and held in Crosbyton and at Ralls during this month.
In February, Dickens County was added to the South Plains Council. Mr. H. B. Palmer, the first Scout Executive of the Council left in February 1927 and MR. W. B. Knox who came in October followed him. During the interval a school man from Dallas came out and helped the Council during the summer months as their acting Scout Executive by the name of W. B. Yates. Mr. L. S. Harkey was president, during this year and Mr. L. G. H. Williams was the Council Commissioner. Dr. Paul V. Horn, Chairman of the Council Leadership Training Committee, organized the Training Courses for the Council in November. In December the Council President, National Council Committeemen, Scout Executive and several others represented the South Plains Council at it’s first Regional Conference in Dallas.
The membership at the end of 1925 was 422 boys, 98 adults, and 17 units making a total Council membership of 520. The total membership of 1926 was 655 boys, 129 adults, and 31 units, for a grand total membership of 784. During the years 1925, 1926, and 1927 tremendous difficulties were experienced in adequately financing theCouncil.
An interesting figure recorded in January of this year showed that the population of the entire Council Territory was 61,000 people. Mr. R. J. Murrey was elected president of the Council in 1928. Mr. W. P. Knox, the second executive of the Council, left the Council in December. Plainview and the area in the old Central Plains Council joined the South Plains Council.
Starting in January, Mr. K. N. Clapp, Council Commissioner, and Mr. L. G. H. Williams were the acting Scout Executives’ on a volunteer basis for the Council. The Council was some $8,000.00 in debt. Executive Knox was removed by Deputy Regional Executive Mr. Voss on February 7th. Under Mr. Clapp’s and Mr. William’s leadership in March, we find listed in the program of the Council; Lubbock Scoutmaster Roundtable, Brownfield Court of Honor, organization of a troop in Post, organization of a troop in Slaton, Court of Honor in Lubbock and Tahoka, and a Finance Campaign in Spur.
By April 30, Mr. Clapp and Mr. Williams, along with Mr. F. A. Norman, treasurer of the Council, had reduced the Council’s debt down to $2,200.00 and had increased the Scouting Membership from 385 to 511, troops from 19 to 28. This year was closed out showing that under Mr. Clapp and Mr. Williams the expenses of this year were $9,063.22, with the total of $9,942.10 having been taken in on their Finance Campaign. 1929 membership showed that there were 31 units with 554 scouts, 287 adults, making a total of 841 membership.
Budget for this year was set at $11,000.00. A new Executive by the name of D. T. Jennings who came from Missouri was employed in May. This year was ended with the total of 610 scouts, 314 adults, for a grand total membership of 924 in 31 units.
Mr. T. A. White was elected president of the Council at the Council’s Annual Meeting on January 29, 1931. On May 10th, the first session of the Scoutmaster’s Training Course was held at Texas Tech College and the Southern District held an overnight Camp and Field Meet in Tahoka. The budget for this year was $6,000.00. Highlight in the month of July was a Scout Family Picnic and Campfire Court of Honor at Lubbock. Another highlight occurred in November when we find the first record of a school survey for prospective members of Boy Scout Troops.
The membership at the end of December was 539 scouts, 200 adults, and 28 units with a grand total membership of 739.
Mr. W. G. McMillan of Lubbock was elected President of the Council in January and Mr. K. N. Clapp, Council Commissioner. The highlight of this year was the First Aid Training Session. The budget was set at $2,600.00. We find during 1932 that meetings were held of all Eagle Scouts in the Council. In July, the first mention of intradistrict Scout Swimming Meets. We find the first mention in October of Old Clothes Campaigns and Toy Campaigns being held by the Boy Scouts. In December, instead of a $2,600.00 budget, we find that the total cash receipt that year was $3,796.00 and total expenses $3,915.00.
The Executive Board had met four times that year and the Finance Committee eleven times, Organization and Extension Committee once, Training Committee twice, Camping Committee once, Publicity three times, Civic Service three times. Thirty-four Courts of Honor were held in the Council during the year 1932. The Council ended the year 1932 with 485 scouts, 185 adults, making a total membership of 670 in 22 units.
One of the highlights of this year was the thirty-minute radio program that was held each Friday on Scouting. The annual swimming meet of the Council was held in August and they have been held every year since then. The first annual Camporee of the Council was held on the 15th and 16th of August.
The first mention of joint meetings of Committees of the Scout Council with Camp Fire Girls and Girl Scout Committees was recorded on October 17, 1933. The highlight of
November of this year shows the first Cubber’s Training Course held in Lubbock on November 4th, 11th, and 18th.
The year 1933 ended with a total membership of 546 boys, and 198 adults. The total membership was 744 in 24 units.
The budget for this year was set at $5,000.00. Dr. F. B. Malone was elected President of the Council in January. Mr. K. N. Clapp was Council Commissioner and Mr. D. T. Jennings was Scout Executive.
The first Cub Pack registered in the South Plains Council was registered in February with a total of 18 Cub Scouts. This was organized by the Lion’s Club of Lubbock. The second Cub Scout Pack in the Council was registered in Lamesa and the third Cub Pack was registered in Post.
Total money raised was $3, 786.00, the total expenses were $3, 677.00. The membership at this time – 592 boys, and 161 adults for a grand total of 753 members with 29 units.
The budget for 1935 was set at $3, 875.00. Dr. Malone was re-elected President of the Council, Mr. Clapp was re-elected Council Commissioner.
One of the interesting things about the reports of this Council show that nearly every month, Courts of Honor were held in nearly every community in the Council. Tremendous records have been kept showing the good turns of Troops, doing all kinds of civic duties throughout this Council during all these years.
The Council was without an Executive part of 1935 since D. T. Jennings left at the end of 1934. In 1935, the Council raised $2,251.00 and only expended $2,135.00.
The budget for this year was $4,565.00. Dr. Malone was re-elected President of the Council, Mr. Clapp re-elected Commissioner. At the end of 1936, the membership of the Council was 488 boys, 131 adults, for a grand total of 619 membership with 25 units. One of the highlights mentioned in 1936 was the Annual Easter Egg Hunt for all Scouts and Cubs of the Council. Another highlight of this year was the Scouters University, completed with 85 people receiving Training Courses Certificates. The first Press Club organization took place in April.
Mr. Earl McClure became Scout Executive of the Council in February. This year $7,590.00 was raised and $7,144.00 was expended.
We find that the Scouts ushered at the Texas Tech College Football games during this year. The first Circus of the Council was held in Lubbock on November 27th and 28th. The year 1936 ended with 1129 boys, 298 adults, for a grand total of 1427 membership with 56 units. We find that year that we had 27 Scout Troops, 8 Cub Packs. One of the troops was a Negro Troop.
Dr. Malone was re-elected President, K. N. Clapp as Council Commissioner, Earl McClure as Scout Executive. We find the first mention of a Council newspaper being published in February 1930. Also in February, we find the first mention of the first Annual Kite Tournament in Lamesa. The first Jamboree Committee met on March 19, 1937.
The budget for this year was set at $9,156.00. The old Dining Hall at Camp Post burned down and the new dining hall was completed at Camp Post in April. The first mention of Boys’ Life being used in this Council, we find four Troops subscribing to the Boys’ Life Magazine with a total of 35 boys taking subscriptions.
During the Summer Camp of 1937 we find 365 boys in Camp from 40 different Troops. The senior scout camp was held in July. The first annual district meetings were held in December, in seven Districts.
This year they raised $11,216.00 on their $9156.00 budget and expended $1, 080.00. The membership at the end of this year was 1483 boys and 406 adults for a grand total of 1889 with 80 units. Broken down – 1 Sea Scout Ship, 1 Colored Troop, 66 White roops, 13 Sea Scouts, 2 Lone Scouts, 1085 Scouts, 12 Cub Packs, 322 Cub Scouts.
Dr. F. B. Malone was elected President of the Council, Mr. K. N. Clapp re-elected Commissioner, Earl McClure was re-elected Scout Executive. The budget for 1938 was set at $9,166.00.
Highlights of the year 1938 were the Boy Scout Circus and the Yellowstone Camping Trip for the Senior Scouts. The first Negro Camp in the Council was held on August 15th through the 18th. The first Negro Leaders Training Course was held in September.
This year, on a budget of $9,166.00, a total of $12,179.00 was raised against expenses of $12,186.00. The membership of the Council at the end of 1938 was 1,696 boys and 462 adults for a grand total membership of 2,158 with 105 units.
Dr. Malone was re-elected President of the Council, K. N. Clapp was re-elected Commissioner, Earl McClure was re-elected Scout Executive. The budget was set at $13,291.00.
Earl McClure resigned as Scout Executive in February to become a member of the Regional Staff and Mr. Jack O. Stone became Scout Executive of the Council in March. He came here from Beaumont, Texas.
The Alpha-Phi-Omega Fraternity was installed at Texas Tech in April 1939. The Council used Camp Post for three weeks, had one week for Negro Camp and used Camp Wehinapay in New Mexico for one week in July. A caravan of Scouts from this Council went to San Francisco in July.
There were 41 members on the Council’s Executive Board this year. December reports show that on a budget of 13,298.00, a total of $15,010.00 was raised and $14,725.00 was expended. The membership of this year shows 1,802 Scouts and Cubs, 475 adult leaders for a grand total of 2,277 in 84 units.
Dr. F. B. Malone was elected President of the Council, K. N. Clapp was re-elected Commissioner, and Jack O. Stone re-elected Scout Executive. The budget was set at $15,900.00.
The first District and Council First Aid Contests took place in March. The Circus was held on May 3, 1940. The first Cub-Dad Camp weekend was held June 22-23. The first mention of the Order of the Arrow annual meeting and banquet was in the December Report of 1940. The December report showed 19 Troops taking the Boys’ Life Magazine, 615 boys subscribing.
They raised $14,366.00 out of their $15,500.00 budget and spent $14, 249.00. The year 1940 ended with a total membership of 2,223 boys, 550 adults, with a grand total of 2,773.
Dr. F. B. Malone was re-elected President of the Council in January, K. N. Clapp was re-elected Council Commissioner, and Jack O. Stone Scout Executive. The budget was set at $14, 423.00 for this year.
The first Philturn Exploration trip by men of this Council was taken in April 1941. One of the highlights of this Council, in looking over the records of the first fifteen years in the tremendous number of Training Courses given to prepare the volunteer leaders for their jobs as unit leaders in the Council. This year the Council again camped at Weed, New Mexico and our first group of boys went to Philturn on July 30,1941.
Camp Haynes was acquired in August and we find the first mention of Troop Camping at Camp Mammy Haynes at Silverton, Texas during August. This camp was given by the late John Haynes in memory of his mother. It included 80 acres of land and was located 10 miles east and a little north of Silverton, Texas. 1941 was, of course, highlighted by the Waste Paper Campaigns, the Aluminum Campaigns and preparations for our National Defense.
This year a total of $16,975.00 was raised and $17,128.00 was spent on their budget of $14,424.00. 1941 membership was 2,496 boys, 590 adults for a grand total of 3,086 members in 118 units.
Dr. F. B. Malone was re-elected President of the Council in January 1942, Mr. K. N. Clapp as Commissioner, and Mr. Jack Stone as Scout Executive. The budget was set at $18, 611.00.
The fist Council-wide “Black-out Mobilization” was held on April 14 through 22, 1942. A salvage campaign for scrap metal was held in October.
This year a total of $18,991.00 was raised and $16,816.00 expended. At the end of this year there were 2,529 boys and 618 adults, making a grand total membership of 3,147 on 124 units.
At this time, there were 35 members of the Council’s Executive Board and the average number of members present at Board meetings this year was 14. The Executive Board met 9 times during 1942. Mr. G. M. Unger became Scout Executive of the Council in July with Mr. Jack Stone going to the Army.
Dr. Malone was re-elected President of the Council, Mr. K. N. Clapp as Commissioner and Mr. Unger as Scout Executive. The budget for this year was set at $20,400.00.
The summer Camp during 1943 was attended by 35 Troops with a total of 530 Scouts. July 1943 highlighted poster distributions and Food for Freedom Campaigns. The first Scout-arama of the Council was held in November.
In December we find that $29,746.00 was raised on the their $20,400.00 budget and a total of $21,375.00 was expended. The membership at the end of 1943 was 2,884 boys, 619 adults, making a total membership of 3,503 in 127 units. Boys’ Life at the end of this year was being taken by 39 Troops and the total subscription was 597.
Dr. Malone was re-elected President of this Council, Mr. Clapp as Commissioner, Mr.Unger as Scout Executive. The budget was set at $22, 416.00
This year was highlighted by the Scouts participating in the sale of U.S. War Bonds. The year ended with a total of $28, 879.00 raised and a total of $19,262.00 expended. The membership at the end of 1944 was 3,150 boys, 604 adults making a total of 3,754 in 125 units. This consisted of 92 Scout Troops, 35 Cub Packs and 1 Air Scout Squadron.
Dr. Malone was re-elected President in January, Mr. Clapp as Commissioner, and Mr.Unger as Scout Executive. A total of $37,273.00 was raised, part of this included money raised for the swimming pool at Camp Post. Expenses this year were $22,859.00. The membership for the Council at the end of December was 3,190 boys, 626 adults for a grand total of 3,816 in 134 units.
Dr. Malone was re-elected President of the Council, Mr. K. N. Clapp as Commissioner, and Mr. G. M. Unger as Scout Executive. There were eleven Districts and a total of 19 Commissioners in the Council in April of this year. The Council operated on $27, 750.00. The membership at the end of 1946 was 3,145 boys, 862 adults for a grand total of 4,007 members in 141 units.
Mr. Unger left the Council to become Scout Executive in Fort Worth, Texas in May. The budget for this year was set at $30,000.00. W. R. Postma, Director of Field Service in the Northern New Mexico Council became Scout Executive in the South Plains Council on August 1, 1947.
The Haynes Bond Award was given by John Haynes to be presented to the most outstanding Troop in the Council this year.
A total of $28,080.00 was raised this year against a budget of $30,337.00. This year ended with 2,689 boys, 750 adults for a total of 3,443 in 110 units. 29 Troops were taking Boys’ Life Magazine with 535 subscriptions. 32 units were in Camp with a total of 480 boys in Camp, which set a camping record of 23%.
This year, Dr. Malone was re-elected President, K. N. Clapp as Commissioner, W. R. Postma as Scout Executive. Mr. Ray Howard was elected as Haynes District Executive in May. Mr. Raymond Lupfer came on September 1, 1948 as Assistant Scout Executive.
At the end of 1948 the membership was 3,283 boys and 968 adults for a total membership of 4,251 in 128 units.
A new Council Office was built at 2109 Avenue X in Lubbock and moved into in December. It burned down on February 7, 1949 and was rebuilt and moved back into in April.
A new swimming pool, a modern concrete structure, was completed and put into operation in the summer of 1949 at Camp Post. Mr. Frank A. Runkels was selected as the permanent Camp Ranger at Camp Post on July 15. The Camp development of Camp Post was well under way with the completion of the new swimming pool.
At the end of this year, we had 4,318 boys, 1,1990 adults for a grand total membership of 5,508 and 150 units.
Dr. F. B. Malone was re-elected as President of the Council, K. N. Clapp as Commissioner and W. R. Postma as Scout Executive.
The highlight of the years’ operation was the securing of a gift by Mr. John Lott of $10,000.00 from the Post Estate for the construction of a new Camp Rangers’ home. This year was also highlighted by the first Valley Forge Jamboree, held at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania and was attended by over 2 Troops of Scouts from this Council.
The period of time 1949, 1950,1951, 1952, 1953 and up until the end of 1954 when Dr. F. B. Malone retired as President and Mr. K. N. Clapp retired as Council Commissioner after many, many years of service, was a period of tremendous expansion within the Council; redistricting took place, the Council budget more than doubled, the Camp development program at Camp Post was completed, the advent of Community Chests, both city-wide and county-wide were taking place over our Council area. The council membership, Training, Camping, Financing and everything were on a tremendous upsurge.
At the end of 1954, the Council membership stood at 5,921 boys, 2,010 adult leaders for a grand total of 7,931 memberships in a total of 222 new units. Mr. Joe T. Salem was elected President of the Council and Mr. J. C. Powell, Jr. of Brownfield as Council Commissioner, W. R. Postma as Scout Executive, Raymond Lupfer as Assistant Scout Executive. In 1954, the Council inaugarated a plan of renting automobiles for the use of their Professional Staff in serving this Council.
This year the membership of the Council was 6,307 boys, 2,177 adults for a grand total of 8,484 members in 229 units. The Council budget for the year 1955 was $83,803.50.
This year the Council was divided into six Districts; the Haynes District, serving Castro, Swisher, Brisco, Hale, Floyd, Motley, Turkey-in Hall County, Olton and Springlake-in Lamb County. George White District; serving Bailey, Lamb, Cochran, and Hockley Counties. Comanche Trail; Crosby, Dickens, Garza, and Kent Counties. Quannah Parker;Yoakum. Terry, Lynn, Gaines, and Dawson Counties.
On January 1, 1956 Lubbock was divided into two Districts, with a boundary line covering everything north of 34th Street and south of College, north of 19th Street and west of College being the Arrowhead District. All south of that line thoughout the county becoming the Longhorn District.
The Council Budget for the fiscal year was $87,000.00. Mr. Joe T. Salem’s term as Council President ended May 31, 1956 and Dr. J. Davis Armistead was elected President. Mr. W. H. Tinney as Commissioner. Mr. Tinney resigned in November and Mr. Charles Alexander was elected Council Commissioner.
Mr. W. R. Postma, Scout Executive since August 1, 1947 presented his resignation to the Council’s Executive Board on November 19, 1956 to become the new Scout Executive of the Inland Empire Council, with headquarters at Spokane, Washington. The Council’s selections committee met on Monday, November 19 to select a new Scout Executive.
Present plans of the Council are to have a Capitol Campaign during the year 1957 to build a new Council Headquarters Office Building, to remodel the existing office building, to buy a new mountain Camp located close to Las Vegas, New Mexico, to provide funds for the establishment of a new Aquatic Camp on the White River Conservation District Lake in southeastern Crosby County, and to provide for further improvements at Camp Post and Camp Haynes. The budget for 1957 has been set at $102,139.00.
The material for this brief history of the Council has been taken primarily from the memory of Mr. K. N. Clapp, Council Commissioner, who served for the first 25 or 30 years of this Council’s history, from conversations with Dr. F. B. Malone, Council President for over 20 years, from all of the monthly reports from June, 1925 to August, 1947 and from my own experiences as your Scout Executive from August 1, 1947 to December 1, 1956.
(Note from webmaster: K. N. Clapp was also known as "Chief Black Wolf." Go HERE for a photo of him in his Indian outfit. He was a good fishing buddy of John R. Wood, Brownwood, and gave his Indian outfit to Wood to wear to the 1950 Boy Scout National Jamboree at Valley Forge. The former Comanche Trail Council (now known as the Texas Trails Council) still has his Indian outfit.)
As a footnote, I would like to add that my opinion, the South Plains Council is populated by the most wonderful people in the world. It has been one of the finest experiences imaginable to work with this group of men in the development of the Scouting Program throughout this twenty county area Council. Certainly, in my opinion, there is no brighter spot in the entire United States for the future of any Council, than we have right here on the South Plains of Texas.
I would like to add that my staff, composed of Mr. Raymond Lupfer, Assistant Scout Executive and Director of Camping and Training; Mr. Philip T. Pegues, Field Director; Mr. T. D. Daniel, Jr., District Executive, Arrowhead District in Lubbock; Mr. Bill R. Strain, District Executive of the George White and Comanche Trail; Mr. Ray L. Howard, Haynes District Executive in Plainview; Mr. Don Reece, Quannah Parker District Executive in Brownfield; Mr. C. W. Tarter, Jr., District Executive of the Longhorn District; Mr. Frank A Runkles, Camp Ranger at Camp Post; Mrs. Tommie Starnes, Registrar; Mrs.Gary Frashier, Advancement and Receptionist; Mrs. Norman Rhoton, Financial Secretary of the Council; Mrs. Betty Phillips and Mrs. Billie Riggs, as stenographers, is one of the finest staffs a Council Executive could ever have. Certainly it has been my pleasure to work in this Council and as I go from here, I take a part of all of you with me, and you shall walk by my side as I go to my new Council.
Presidents | Council
| Council Scout
Executives | Map
of Council | District
OF THE SOUTH
the South Plains
Council, BSA for allowing us to include their history
on this web site.
Researched by: Harry B. Massingill, Jr., District
Executive – April 1987.
Revised: 1/91 Additonal
found in History of Region Nine, Boy Scouts of
by Minor Huffman
Last Updated: January 23, 2009
Return to Home Page